Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Hot Dogs and Rice


This is (inspired by) something my boyfriend's mom makes.  It's traditionally made with ketchup and onions but I think that's gross so I just use garlic and barbecue sauce.  I usually make it for lunch or as a snack.  This recipe is for 2 servings.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
6 hotdogs*, sliced
2-3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce

Directions:
Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and let it cook for about 1 minute.  Add the hotdogs and let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes or until done.  You'll know they are done when they are heated thoroughly and start to get dark and curl up, like this:

Now add the barbecue sauce and stir it up until the oil and sauce are thoroughly combined.  Serve immediately over white rice.

Note:  This might not be very good in a bento as it tastes best when it's hot.  It keeps well and tastes fine reheated though.  It could probably last up to 3 days in the refrigerator but I've never had it stick around long enough to find out (it usually gets eaten up within the day it's made.)

*For a vegetarian option, you could maybe use some type of veggie dog. I've never tried it so I can't say I recommend it. I've only ever had Smart Dog brand, which tend to have a very subtle flavor that i imagine would get overpowered by the strong flavor of the barbecue sauce. Also I feel the texture/consistency would not lend itself well to browning properly.  For those two reasons I don't think a vegetarian version of this dish would be very palatable. If I ever get a chance to experiment with it I will post my results.  Until then, heed my warning: it might be gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment